April is National Car Care Month
Our vehicles are in the second or third spot when it comes most expensive purchases we will make in our lifetime. (Purchase of a house and/or college education taking the #1 and 2 spots.) It makes sense that we want to take care of them and keep them running like they’re brand new. Routine maintenance makes that easier to do. Routine checks help ensure that nothing sneaks up when dealing with your car.
The Car Care Council provides a Car Care Guide to help you navigate all the different topics you need to be aware of to keep your car running well.
Here’s 6 tips on how to keep an eye on your car:
- Check Tire Pressure. Make sure to either check your tire pressure the old-fashioned way with a tire gauge or scroll through the tire pressure information on our electronic dash. It’s also good practice to rotate tires every 5,000 to 8,000 miles. Spring is a great time to look at tire deals if you need them as folks start getting ready for those spring trips.
- Check the Brakes. Now that the weather is warmer, put the windows down and make sure your brakes aren’t making any grinding noises. Also, if it’s taking longer to stop, check that out.
- Attend to Small Repairs. Better weather allows you to really look over your vehicle. After washing your car, review your windshield to see if there are any cracks or chips. Taking care of small repairs can help ensure they don’t lead to big ones.
- Check the Exhaust and Battery. Look for cracked or hoses and belts due to excessive wear. Also, look at your battery connections. Please make sure they are corrosion-free, tight, and clean.
- Check Your Car Fluids. Look at your engine oil, brake and transmission fluids, antifreeze, and windshield washer fluid. Be sure to read your vehicle’s manual to see when they recommend changing your fluids.
- Schedule Any Needed Auto Service. Spring is a good time to take your car in for an overall inspection for possible repairs you can’t see.
Taking proper care of your vehicle and save your time and energy in the long run.
Be sure to look at our FB every Tuesday in April for #CarCareTuesdayTip for helpful tips to keep your car running well.